SEARCH WITHIN CONTENT
Citation Information : Journal of Ultrasonography. Volume 15, Issue 60, Pages 96-101, DOI: https://doi.org/10.15557/JoU.2015.0008
License : (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0)
Received Date : 15-October-2014 / Accepted: 05-December-2014 / Published Online: 13-September-2016
A fracture of the sesamoid bone of the hand is rarely seen. In most cases, it is strictly associated with the trauma. The patient complains of a long-lasting, due to unclear diagnosis, painful swelling of the joint with an inability to fl ex the affected fi nger. Limited blood supply makes the untreated fracture prone to avascular necrosis. Thus, it is
extremely important to make a proper diagnosis early. Bilateral comparing the affected areas with ultrasonography seems to be the method of choice. The treatment is conservative or surgical when needed. We present a case of a radial sesamoid fracture of the second metacarpophalangeal joint without a history of trauma.
1. Bochenek A, Reicher M: Anatomia człowieka. T. I. Państwowy Zakład Wydawnictw Lekarskich, Warszawa 1978.
2. Deabate L, Garavaglia G, Lucchina S, Fusetti C: Fracture of the radial sesamoid bone of the thumb: an unusual fracture. Chin J Traumatol 2011; 14: 309–311.
3. Gray H: Anatomy of the Human Body. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia – New York 1918.
4. Seki Y, Hoshino Y, Kuroda H: Prevalence of sesamoid bones in the interphalangeal joint of the thumb and fi ngers: a radiographic study. Clin Anat 2013; 26: 823–826.
5. Wood VE: The sesamoid bones of the hand and their pathology. J Hand Surg Br 1984; 9: 261–264.
6. Seki Y, Hoshino Y, Kuroda H: Locking of the ring fi nger at proximal interphalangeal joint due to a sesamoid bone: a case report. Hand (NY) 2012; 7: 119–120.
7. Dębek A, Czyrny Z, Nowicki P: Zmiany patologiczne ręki w badaniu ultrasonografi cznym. J Ultrason 2014; 14: 74–88.
8. Patel MR, Pearlman HS, Bassini L, Ravich S: Fractures of the sesamoid bones of the thumb. J Hand Surg Am 1990; 15: 776–781.
9. Dong PR, Seeger LL, Shapiro MS et al.: Fractures of the sesamoid bones of the thumb. Am J Sports Med 1995; 23: 336–339.
10. Parks BJ, Hamlin C: Chronic sesamoiditis of the thumb: pathomechanics and treatment. J Hand Surg Am 1986; 11: 237–240.